From ginger ale to gingerbread, the yummy applications of ginger are many. This little root is immensely popular as a flavoring for several types of foods and beverages. But it’s more than just a spice: there are also many health benefits of ginger root, which is why we chose it as one of our powerful, nutrient-rich ModBalls ingredients.
From its role in traditional recipes to scientifically-backed remedies, ginger root is a powerful, tasty spice with a wide variety of uses — and a long history of enjoyment around the world.
Read on to learn more about the various health benefits of ginger root and how to get more of it in your diet.
What Is Ginger Root?
Ginger root (a.k.a. ginger) is the stem of the ginger plant that grows horizontally underground. Ginger is technically not a root (it’s a rhizome), but it looks like a root and acts like a root and most people call it a root, so we’re sticking with it. The upper part of the ginger plant is lush and green, with narrow stems and vibrant green leaves.
Ginger root is commonly known for its strong flavor and usefulness for relieving ailments like nausea or sore throat. Native to Asia, ginger root has been used by numerous countries in traditional medicines and home remedies (not to mention cooking!) for millennia.
You can purchase ginger root in various forms, including fresh, pickled, ground, and crystallized, just to name a few. And while there are many widely acknowledged health benefits of ginger root, it’s also popular for its distinctive flavor alone, both as a spice and as a palate cleanser.
Health Benefits of Ginger Root
Many health benefits of ginger root come from its natural oil, gingerol, which also greatly contributes to ginger root’s distinctive flavor. While not all studies are conclusive, ginger root has been shown to be effective at relieving various types of ailments or discomforts.
Some of the health benefits of ginger root include:
- Relieves nausea, stomach pain, etc.: Perhaps the most widely known effect of ginger is its usefulness in settling an upset stomach. Additionally, it has been shown to relieve discomfort due to chronic indigestion and menstrual cramps.
- Excellent source of antioxidants: Ginger has been shown to have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fights infections: Ginger root, and particularly its extract, may help fight off infections and bacteria.
- May be effective against heart disease, cancer, etc.: More studies are needed, but some findings suggest ginger root may indeed be useful in preventing certain types of diseases.
While many health benefits of ginger root lack sufficient scientific evidence, ginger root has also long been used around the world as a home remedy for the flu and the common cold.
Ways to Enjoy Ginger Root
Chances are you already consume ginger root in a variety of ways. But if you’d like to branch out a little, or if you’re not sure how to take advantage of all the health benefits of ginger root, try some of these ideas:
- Tea: Ginger tea comes in many forms, and can also contain other beneficial ingredients.
- Capsules: Some people take ginger root as a dietary supplement. Of course, it’s always best to consult your doctor if you’re considering trying this.
- Baking: Ginger root is a delicious spice that can be used in various baked goods, such as pies, cookies, cakes, and (of course!) gingerbread.
- Savory recipes like stir fry: Ginger doesn’t have to be restricted to sweets! Many savory dishes from various Asian culinary traditions use ginger as a flavorful spice.
- ModBalls: For a quick, grab-and-go option, ModBalls contain ginger — alongside 84 other powerful, nutritious ingredients.
While the potential health benefits of ginger are many, the possible ways you can use it are even more abundant.
Ginger Root: A Powerful, Helpful Little Spice
It’s no wonder it has remained such a popular spice throughout history. Whether you’re looking to make the most of the various health benefits of ginger root, or you simply enjoy the flavor, there are myriad ways to consume it, each one unique and full of flavor.
Shop ModBalls today to explore more of our energy bites’ nutrient-dense ingredients.