While still very popular, energy drinks have taken a hit. Consumers are now more aware than ever that highly caffeinated energy drinks can carry significant health risks.
Aside from the fact that traditional energy drinks contain high amounts of caffeine, they’re also lacking in whole, natural ingredients. So how exactly do you find the healthiest energy drinks? Believe it or not, the answer lies in the kitchen.
If you’re ready to enjoy the healthiest energy drinks, let’s dive in and talk about the benefits of making your own energy drinks and the ingredients you can add to boost their nutritional value.
Why Make Energy Drinks at Home?
For the healthiest energy drinks, homemade is the way to go. You’re able to choose wholesome ingredients from organic fresh fruit to hand-selected protein powder.
Along that same line, you also have the ability to pick how much sugar you want in your drink. Go sugar free or add sweeteners such as honey, monk fruit, or agave. By controlling the amount of sugar, you ensure that the energy drink aligns with your health goals.
And since many energy drinks have a lot of caffeine in them, many people prefer to make their drinks at home to limit or completely eliminate their caffeine intake. By making the healthiest energy drinks at home, you choose how much caffeine you want to put in.
The Healthiest & Most Nutrient-Dense Energy Drinks
Smoothies are an excellent alternative to your traditional store-bought energy drinks because you can customize them infinitely to ensure you’re getting enough nutrients and you never get bored of the flavor. Here are six ingredients you should add to your smoothies for the tastiest, healthiest energy drinks.
- Berries. According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, berries such as strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries provide carbs, sugar, and fiber to amplify energy. Not to mention, they give your energy drink a burst of fresh and fruity flavor — a great way to offset some of your healthier but less flavorful ingredients and protein powders.
- Bananas. Bananas provide carbs, B6, and potassium — the perfect combination to energize you (among so many other benefits). Cut up a half or whole banana and add it to your drink!
- Protein powder. For extra energy, you can’t go wrong with adding a scoop of protein powder. Protein is known for providing energy and keeping you full for longer.
- Yogurt. A great source of protein and fat, yogurt adds creaminess to any energy drink (think berries and cream!).
- Green leafy vegetables. Kale and spinach are high in vitamins, potassium, and iron. Iron deficiency is known to cause fatigue so ensuring you’re getting the right amount of iron can help prevent tiredness.
The best part about smoothies is that you can pack them full of fruits and vegetables to ensure you get as many nutrients as possible. Consider also topping your smoothies with super seeds like chia, flax, and hemp, which, according to Healthline, contain fiber, omega-3, and in the case of hemp seeds, more than 30% protein.
The Healthiest Energy Drinks for Caffeine Lovers
Caffeine isn’t inherently bad. In fact, when consumed in moderate amounts, it can have ample health benefits — like improving physical performance, burning fat, and potentially even lowering your risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia — according to Healthline. If you need your daily caffeine fix, here are three of the healthiest energy drinks with caffeine in them.
- Tea. Penn Medicine attributes tons of health benefits to tea. Black tea, for example, contains up to 90 mg of caffeine per cup, helps combat inflammation, and supports healthy immune function.
- Matcha. Matcha is a powdered form of green tea, which makes it a super versatile but healthier alternative to coffee — drink it in a latte, in a smoothie, or shaken over ice. In addition to being loaded with cancer-fighting antioxidants and protecting your heart and liver, WebMD credits matcha with boosting brain function, increasing focus, and improving memory.
Teas are some of the healthiest energy drinks because they not only increase your energy but also boost your body’s overall function, keeping you in peak health year round.
The Healthiest Energy Drinks Aren’t Always Drinks
Energizing with proper nutrition is always the healthiest, most sustainable option — especially for people with active lifestyles. If you prefer not to fill up on liquid, say, before an endurance workout, you want to opt for a light but still nutrient-dense snack for the best all-around energy.
With 85 different fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts and chocolate packed into one ball, ModBalls are an easy and convenient alternative to even the healthiest energy drinks that still give you an all-natural energy boost. ModBalls are the perfect on-the-go snack to enjoy in between meals and throughout your busiest days to promote energy.
Enjoy the Healthiest Energy Drinks
Instead of spending money on commercial energy drinks, take control of your health and make the healthiest energy drinks in your own home! Between the endless flavor options and their cost effectiveness, homemade energy drinks can easily become a sustainable long-term routine. And for those ultra-busy days, ModBalls are a great on-the-go alternative when you need to replenish your energy.
For more health tips and to learn more about ModBalls, visit our website.