Whether you’re a mom shepherding your children to after-school activities or an athlete training for your next triathlon, busy days come with obstacles. Planning for every possibility is impossible, but with some healthy meal prepping and by stocking up on nutrient-dense snacks on the go, you can keep hunger and fatigue at bay.
Snacking is often associated with foods with low nutritional value, such as chips and cookies; however, that doesn’t mean all snacks have to be unhealthy. Meal prepping ensures you have a stash of healthy food ready to go at a moment’s notice so you don’t go reaching for those sugar-filled snack bars and prepackaged treats.
If you’re a busy mom looking for quick, healthy ways to boost your energy, here’s everything you need to know to make the most of meal prep and snacks on the go.
What to Look for in Healthy Snacks on the Go
Snacks filled with refined carbs and sugar may be tasty and seem filling at the moment, but they’ll leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied later. Here’s what to look for in your healthy snacks on the go.
- Protein. To satiate your hunger and keep your energy going for longer, look for snacks that are high in protein. Some evidence also suggests that consuming healthy carbs right before your protein will lead to longer-lasting energy and lower blood sugar levels.
- Little to no added sugar. The average American consumes about three times more sugar a day than is recommended. Added sugar gives you a quick burst of energy that simmers out quickly, so it’s best to opt for essential macronutrients — proteins, fats, and carbs — for a sustainable boost of energy.
- Fiber. According to Medical News Today, fiber helps you to feel fuller for longer, promotes gut health, and reduces the risk of chronic health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.
Once you know what ingredients to look for (and which to avoid), you have two options: purchase ready-made snacks on the go or make your own.
4 Healthy Snacks on the Go
Whether you opt for store bought or homemade, these four healthy snacks on the go will give you the boost of energy you need to get through busy days.
Both kids and adults love trail mix. The delicious combination of dried fruits and nuts makes it an easy and indulgent snack full of essential macronutrients. Not to mention how easy trail mix is to make, store, and grab when you’re on the go.
The best part about trail mix, though, is how many different variations you can make just by throwing in different treats. If you have picky kids, consider adding popcorn or their favorite chocolate treat. After all, chocolate has its benefits, too!
Packed with 85 high-energy fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts and chocolate, ModBalls are the best way to boost your energy and keep you going for longer.
With naturally derived ingredients, ModBalls makes it easy to eat clean and stay healthy. If you don’t have time to meal prep but want to be sure you’re getting all the nutrients you need to maintain your energy, pop some ModBalls into a bag for healthy, convenient snacks on the go.
Roasted chickpeas are high in fiber and protein, making them a super snack for keeping you or your kiddos full for longer. Chickpeas also come with tons of added benefits like lowering cancer risk and cholesterol, controlling blood sugar levels, and boosting mental health, according to WebMD.
Roast chickpeas with a touch of olive oil and add your own selection of spices for a tasty snack.
Celery & Peanut Butter
Remember ants on a log from your elementary school lunches? Just top a celery stick with peanut butter, sprinkle it with raisins on top, and you have ants on a log!
Not only is this a fun treat for kids, but it’s also very nutritious with protein and fiber (and antioxidants if you add the raisins on top!).
3 Healthy Meal-Prep Hacks
When it comes to meal prep, the simpler the better; an overly complicated process won’t be sustainable in the long run. To ensure your meal prep runs smoothly, follow these hacks.
- Plan your meals before going to the store. Successful meal prep is all in the planning, so make a list of what you and your family plan to eat that week before going shopping. Not only are you more likely to get everything you need in one go, but you’re also less likely to overspend or give into unhealthy snacks on the go.
- Make breakfast the day before. Mornings can be the most hectic times of the day, especially for parents. To make them a little easier, prepare breakfast the night before with overnight oats, whole grain muffins, or baked eggs.
- Label everything. If nothing else, remember: Organization is your friend. Label everything! Labeling makes finding meals and snacks easy and convenient, and you’ll spend less time searching in the fridge or freezer for particular snacks on the go.
By simplifying and planning ahead, you can make meal prepping your snacks on the go a sustainable part of your life.
Be Prepared With Snacks on the Go
With meal prep and snacks on the go, you’ll reduce stress and be prepared for when you or your kids inevitably become hungry. Busy days will feel more manageable, and you’ll notice a significant boost in energy just by opting for whole, healthy snacks.
For more healthy options and snacks on the go, shop ModBalls to explore our nutrient-dense energy bites.